One of the most effective ways to inspire and enrich ourselves, our communities and each other is to find our way back to engaging whole heartedly with the natural world.
This course is designed to invite people to spend time in nature, to become an environmental educator and to cultivate ‘this nature connection ‘in helpful and meaningful ways.
The formal education system is creaking under the strain of the national curriculum and our children are receiving instruction rather than a true education, within a context of reaching goals and targets rather than a true education that addresses the body/ mind / spirit connection of each child.
Therefore, we invite you to become one of the new generation of change-makers through the Into the Wild program.
Program Structure :
• 6 core skills and development weekends, 3 days each
• 2 Into the wild professional training courses, 1 or 2 days each
• 5- 10 days field work on into the wild Portugal camps or events
• 5 online mentoring sessions ( skype )
• Various assignments and practices associated with developing nature connection and integrated learning.
• Online peer group
MODULE 1 :
25th to 27th November 2017 – ORIENTATION
Introduction to outdoor survival basic skills ( medicine wheel ), orientation, firecraft, campcraft skills, introduction to core routines, night walk, assignments & practices.
MODULE 2 :
27th to 29th January 2018 – HANDS
To seek, obtain and decontaminate water, wild foods, campfire, cookery, chicken coop building, night work, assignments & practices.
Sensory awareness, tracking skills, wildlife observation, bird language, night activity, medicine walk.
MODULE 5 :
26th to 28th January 2019 – HEART
Gaia theory, deep ecology, active hope, council of all beings, overnight solo.
MODULE 6 :
22th to 24th June 2019 – LEADERSHIP
Leadership styles, eco- constellations, info & resources for environmental education, celebration !
As part of the Into the Wild program, you will :
• Learn and/or develop new skills, tools and techniques to become a more effective educator.
• Gain experience with a range of client-groups
• Discover more of your gifts, passions and vision
• Move yourself closer to your professional aspirations, and toward your dreams for yourself and the world.
• Receive coaching, mentoring and support
• Adopt routines that connect you with nature and can facilitate other’s connection to nature.
• Be introduced to new ideas and new practices.
Graduates of this program will have the opportunity to apply to become part of the facilitation path team that helps the course leaders deliver the next course. These places are limited and are assessed on application.
Who is this course suitable for ?
• The program has been created for those on a personal and professional development path. It may be at the point of a career change or after graduating that the need for practical experience and mentoring in the field is required.
• Over the duration of the program we expect students to pick up a broad base of skills and experience, to clarify which areas of outdoor education they have a particular interest and talent for and which client-groups they would like to work with. This becomes the ideal platform from which to pursue a vocation in, for example, forest school, bushcraft, earth education, outdoor pursuits or the more formal environmental education sector.
• To align you with your goals, connect you deeply with nature and offer you tools and experience that will translate effectively into everyday life.
• The program is geared toward teachers, educators, outdoor instructors, rangers, forest school leaders, play-workers, and in more general terms, those who are change-agents, community leaders, people in personal or professional transition.
• For those who long a more fulfilment in their lives and a deeper impact in the world.
Course Fees :
1.850,00 euros includes the cost of all 6 core skills and development weekends, 2 professional training courses, fieldwork, mentoring and some meals.
It is required the payment of 30% of the total amount, at the time of registration.
The course will take place if there is a minimum of 20 participants.
INTO THE WILD JOURNEY
The process of developing our capacity to be a mentor for nature connection is an adventure that’s full of potential opportunities, challenges and possibilities.
This program will give you the skills and tools to navigate this journey and bring your leadership potential out into the world, supported by experienced professionals, a community of like-minded students and a connection with the natural world itself.